Tuesday, February 21, 2012

When ambition takes over...

I did a stupid thing today.  You see, sometimes I get frustrated that being sick is determining the things that I get to do.  Yesterday, I was trying to decide what to do over the summer.  Unfortunately, something like a full time job or internship is far from possible if I'm still sick, so I was trying to decide between taking an online class or trying to find a little part time job that I'd be able to handle.  After being frustrated all day yesterday about being too sick to live a "normal" life, I woke up this morning with the brilliant idea that being sick is stupid, so I should just suck it up.

... and you better believe I sucked it up.  I hopped on the treadmill (with a fever, of course), and after walking for 10 minutes I decided it'd be a good idea to start running... so I ran.  For 4 and a half minutes. That's when something inside of my abdomen decided to have a party, or explode, or something like that.  Being the stubborn "sick-o" that I am, I decided that the best thing to do would be to keep walking, because I wanted to go for 30 minutes (I normally walk for a half hour on the days that I don't swim).  By 28 minutes I was holding on to both sides of the treadmill, supporting myself while the treadmill was going a whole 2.5 mph.  I was a little bit of a mess for awhile after that, and my innards are still all achy.  I'm pretty sure "explosions" are my body's way of saying "YOU DOOFUS! WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I CAN HANDLE THIS RIGHT NOW?!?!" I call them "explosions" because there's always a moment that I'm pretty sure something inside of me is literally exploding because I don't understand how something could be that painful without exploding.  A few times it really was a cyst bursting, but who knows what happened today.  All I know that is that I learned a few lessons which people who manage to keep their common sense during illnesses probably already know... like that "sucking it up" doesn't make your illness go away, unfortunately, and when your idea of "sucking it up" involves running when you've had a fever for 496 days (I just did the math), your body is probably going to hate you.

Tomorrow, I will enjoy my nice, relaxing walk.


1 comment: