Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hey, 2011!

Growing up, our New Years Eves typically consisted of my parents, brother and me trying to stay up until midnight to watch the ball drop with some sparkly grape juice, and then hitting the sack.  We watched whatever New Years show was on TV, and, well... it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't terribly exciting either (although.... having the year change to 2000 was pretty sweet).

For the past 2 New Years, I've been with my coach's family and whoever ends up there to celebrate with us.  The first thing I realized last year was that they don't watch the ball drop! The funny thing is, I didn't realize until now that it doesn't even phase me anymore that I didn't watch the ball drop this year. I think we get more excited about calling one of our friends at midnight because her birthday is January 1st. Basically, our night consists of playing a bunch of games until 1 or 2 in the morning (which was VERY difficult for me this year, despite the extra strength Tylenol I was loaded up on...), but my favorite part is New Years morning at their house.  If any runners are there, they go run first thing in the morning. After that, we all eat breakfast together... and it's ALWAYS delicious.  Then the best part comes, which is when we all go into the other room and sing hymns while my coach's dad plays the piano.  We sang for an hour this year, and it was awesome.  My favorite hymn is "It is Well With my Soul," so I always pick that one... partly because it's a really cool hymn with an amazing story behind it, but also because I like it when the girls sing "it is weellll" and then the guys sing "IT IS WELLLLL" really low. We like to go all out.

I was pretty happy that 2010 was over, but instead of being a pessimist about 2010, I decided to look at the good things that happened, and I discovered that the really good things normally happened during a very bad time.  I decided that it's because the very bad times are what make relationships closer... not with everybody, but with the people who are willing to go out of there way to help you... and with God. That's when you're completely vulnerable and dependent on other people, and in my case, I've never felt like I needed God just to get through a day as much as I did this past year.  Leaving school was very scary, but I think I'm learning more about life now than college could teach me. I'll be going back when I'm healthy, and I reaaallly can't wait for that, but in the meantime I'm trying to focus on now, seeing as there's a lot going on that's outside of my control. I have a bunch of doctors appointments within the next week, so hopefully we'll be getting some more results!

No comments:

Post a Comment