Monday, October 18, 2010

"Change the World" Syndrome

Another day of resting, brings: an unhealthy amount of thinking (or as like to say, "freaking out") about my life. I had to remind myself today that the reason I'm home is to rest. I have this problem where I always want to be productive; whether that means running, planning something crazy, playing guitar, doing hw, etc. I'm really bad at doing "leisurely things" (like watching tv and movies), so instead I sit here and think about how confusing/scary/depressing my life is right now. First it starts with thinking about my health and whether or not I'm supposed to call another doctor, or just rest and see what happens after the antibiotics are done, then I move on to thinking about what's going to happen the rest of the semester, and then I start worrying about next semester and whether or not I'm ever going to be healthy, and THEN I realize that I have NO idea what I'm going to do with my life (when Jesus said not to worry about our lives (Matthew 6:25-34) He knew what he was talking about (well... duh. He's Jesus.) We're humans! We can only handle one day at a time!). That was a lot of parenthesis... but anyways, I have this problem where I think I need to do something REALLY crazy and helpful in order to do what God wants me to do with my life. Like... save a bunch of people, find a cure for a disease, you know... change the world. That's when the idea of a holistic faith that Dr. Middleton drilled in my head comes in... I don't need to change the world! Guess what! A plumber is fulfilling God's will by being a plumber. We need plumbers. Especially for people with explosive intestines, like me. A plumber can plumb (is that a verb?) for God just like a missionary can go on missions for God. Colossians 3:23 says "Whatever your task, put yourselves into it, as done for the Lord and not for your masters." Want to be a plumber? Be a plumber. A freakin' awesome plumber, with a heart for the Lord.

I don't mean to shatter any dreams you have of changing the world, but... you aren't going to. However... we sure can! That's why the church isn't one person. We need everyone (the custodians, the painters, the missionaries, the pastors, the teachers, the coaches... I could keep going...) If we all pour our hearts into what we're passionate about, we'd probably be surprised by what would happen.

My task for the next week or two (hopefully no longer than that!): Get over pneumonia. How do I get over pneumonia? Rest. How do I rest? Sleep, relax, watch some Psych...
It sounds wonderful, but for me... it's ridiculously hard; however... if I see it as my "task" for the week... it's a little bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment