Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lots of Updates!

Saturday was the last day of the musical.  It was great!  And exhausting, of course.  Unfortunately, the french horn wasn't mine (french horns are ridiculously expensive), so now that the show is over I don't have one to play anymore.  The retired middle school band director plays in a community band though, so I might start playing trumpet in that.  I have a lot going on now though, so we'll see.

I'm helping out with the high school track team now, since I'm back to having a lot of free time.  Yesterday was my first day of helping, and it was so cool!  Coach gave me half of the distance runners to time during a work out.  They had 3 x (3x300), with a minute rest between the 3 300s, and 5 minutes between each set of 3 300s.  Then the sprinting coach asked me to have a couple of his guys do the workout.  That was much harder than getting the distance runners through it.  They listened and did everything I told them to do, they had just never ran farther than a 400 (one of them only ran 100s...), so it seemed like death to them.  Seriously... they told me that they thought they were dying, and one was very good at dramatically collapsing after each 300.   I also got the "You have know idea how much this hurts."  Ha.  Haha.

Being out on the track was great.  I was dead after, and I realized that having a fever when it's 80 degrees out doesn't feel so great, but it made me really happy to be able to help my hs coach and the team.  I also get a whole lot of support from all of those people.  A lot of the coaches know what's going on, and they're trying to be as helpful as they can... and asking me to help them when I'm up to it is usually the best way to help me.

Yesterday I found out that my doctor referred me to a doctor at Hematology/Oncology Associates.  They're supposed to be really good and they work with people who have cancer, so in my opinion, that means they have to be nice people.  My appointment is on Monday, which is the quickest I've ever been able to get in to see a doctor that I've never seen before (normally it takes weeks).  God is good. =)

I also saw my GI doctor yesterday.  He is easily my favorite doctor, especially now that he's had me as a patient for awhile.  He's very frustrated that I'm still sick, but he can't do much about it himself because it's out of his area.  He did reassure me that I have a group of very good doctors putting their heads together to figure this out now.  He also always wants updates, even though it might have nothing to do with his area and he said someday he's going to read about me in the New England Journal of Medicine.  Haha.  He does think it's something systematic (affecting my whole body), and he even thinks my ridiculous amount of infections (sinus infections, infected wisdom teeth, pneumonia, etc) could have to do with it.  He even said: "This sounds exactly like Lyme Disease.  I wish that we had an accurate test to prove if it is or isn't Lyme."  Hearing a doctor say that is AWESOME (even if I don't have Lyme).  Most assume that the tests are 100% accurate.  It's a pain.

Today I get to see the oral surgeon to see if it's definitely my wisdom teeth that are causing problems before they go and pull them out.  I really can't complain if it is my wisdom teeth right now.  I'd much rather have them out now than get healthy and back to school and then have to get them out when things are finally going well.  We will see...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Dr. David Churchill at H&O Associates - thought he was one of the most competent Doc's I have ever seen. Went to him for a 2nd opinion when the neurologist I saw told me my neuropathy caused by a missing factor in my blood (the very expensive tests that weren't covered by insurance said so)After a year of weekly infusions didn't do anything I saw Churchill. Best of all he took all the time you wanted to talk - you didn't feel like you were on the clock. he basically said the first guy was a quack sent me to some real neurologists at Strong in Rochester and they figured it all out.

    Love your outlook - keep plugging away!

    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. the story about the dramatic high school sprinters made me chuckle :) Praying for you! <3

    ReplyDelete